Guide To Opening/Doing Business in the city of Torrance
The City of Torrance
The City of Torrance would like to thank you for your consideration of opening your business in our cosmopolitan city. The city of Torrance has great business areas for retail, manufacturing, food & beverage, office, commercial and more! The Torrance Area Chamber of Commerce is here to assist you with the process. You will want to visit the City of Torrance website which outlines the required permits.
Visit the City of Torrance website by clicking here.
City of Torrance
3031 Torrance Blvd.
Torrance, CA 90503
Starting a Business in Torrance
- Contact City Hall and make sure the zoning is correct for your new business address.
City Hall can be reached at (310)328-5310
- Every business must meet zoning requirements to insure that its business category and site are compatible. Before signing any leases or moving in, check with the Community Development Department to verify this information.
Community Development can be reached by calling (310)618-2550
- File a fictitious name statement and file your "doing business as" name in a local newspaper.
- To file a fictitious name statement, you must contact the local newspaper. The paper will file your DBA statement and publish your new business name.
The Daily Breeze can be reached at (310)540-5511 or by visiting www.dailybreeze.com
*Prior to filing a fictitious name statement, you should call the Los Angeles County Clerk's Office and determine if your business name is already in use. See below.
STEP THREE :
- Contact the State of California to file State Tax forms and obtain labor standards for employees. Obtain a State Board of Equalization resale permit, if required.
Click here to get started with the proper tax forms and requirements with the State of California.
STEP FOUR :
- Provide the City with following information for a business license:
- Fictitious Name
- State resale permit number
- County/State Permits
- Business name/address/number
- Description of business
- Social Security/Federal I.D. Number
- Number of employees
*Depending on the type of business you plan to conduct you may be required to have:
- Health permits
- Zoning inspection
- Fire inspection
- Contractor's license
- Building permits
- Alcohol beverage permits
*Business licenses for certain types of businesses (noted in section 31.7.3 of the Torrance Municipal Code) will be subject to approval of the License Review Board.
City of Torrance, Helpful Links:
- To learn more about obtaining a business license in the City of Torrance, please visit: http://www.torranceca.gov/416.htm
- To preview the Torrance business listings, click here.
- Interested in doing business with the City of Torrance?
Click here to find out how!
Click here to find the current open bids!
- Filming in Torrance
- Special Events Application/Information
- Zoning: Standards, Details & Plans
- Legal Contacts as recommended by the City Attorney
- For all city services, please click here.
- Do you have clients coming to town, to do business? Please click here to let us help you find accommodations.
- Looking for public transit? Click here for bus routes and schedules.
- Looking for demographic information? Click here for census information.
- Click here for helpful maps.
- Be ready to protect your business, click here for disaster preparedness.
- Business Watch Program
WHY JOIN BUSINESS WATCH?
The Business Watch program offers the following free benefits:
- Registration of your business with the Torrance Police Department so we can contact you immediately if there is a problem at your business after regular business hours
- Help in dealing with panhandlers and other loiterers who scare off customers
- Security inspections of your business by Torrance Police Department experts
- Personal safety presentations for your employees
- Guest speakers for business association meetings
- Invitations to Business Watch seminars on such topics as Robbery, Forgery/Fraud and Identify Theft
- E-mail notifications of crime trends affecting your business
BENEFITS OF JOINING BUSINESS WATCH:
- Security inspections of your business property
- Information on video surveillance equipment
- Community Business Safety Seminars
- Coordinated assistance with other City departments as needed
- Better communication and interaction with the Torrance Police Department's Community Lead Officers
- Business Watch advisories on crime trends in your area
HOW TO JOIN:
- There is no cost to join. Simply visit the Business Watch web page by clicking here.
- Free Business Counseling with SCORE
SCORE is a nonprofit association dedicated to helping small businesses get off the ground, grow and achieve their goals through education and mentorship. We have been doing this for nearly fifty years.
Because our work is supported by the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA), and thanks to our network of 13,000+ volunteers, we are able to deliver our services at no charge or at very low cost.
We can provide: Volunteer MENTORS who share their expertise across 62 industries, Free, confidential business COUNSELING in person or via email, Free business TOOLS, templates and tips here online, Inexpensive or free business WORKSHOPS (locally) and webinars (online 24/7).
Free business counseling, contact the Chamber for a SCORE appointment. The counselors are available Wednesday morning by appointment. To make an appointment, please call (310) 540-5858.
You can also visit the SCORE website at http://www.score.org/
The government requires businesses to obtain permits and licenses to conduct their operations, but the requirement varies dependent on the location of the company and the type of services it provides. Certain types of businesses are required to have business licenses. Those in unincorporated areas should check with the County Business License Office to see if they are required to have a license, while those in cities should check with their city halls. In addition, specialized businesses may be required to obtain additional licenses or permits, like pest control operators and food establishments. The state regulates some industries as well. The majority of businesses are required to register a fictitious name statement.
For more information about doing business in L.A. County, click here.
Learn more about business requirements and policies for L.A. County, click here.
Interested in doing business with LA County? click here.
- Better Business Bureau
- Looking to celebrate your grand opening or ribbon cutting? Contact the Torrance Area Chamber of Commerce today! (310) 540-5858
- Looking for more business services to aid your company? Visit our online member directory by clicking here!
Please contact the Torrance Area Chamber of Commerce if you need any assistance in moving your business to the great City of Torrance, we look forward to working with YOU!