Saturday, May 20th | Race Start Time: 8:00 AM
Location: Del Amo Fashion Center (on Madrona Avenue, between Carson St. & Fashion Way)
The 5K For Freedom is in its 5th year! Join in the fun & be a part of a 61st-year-running Torrance tradition of hosting the Armed Forces Celebration!
The goal this year is to have 1,000 civilian runners/walkers/joggers participating; enjoying the beautiful eucalyptus-lined streets of Torrance in the company of our brave men and women serving in the various branches of the Armed Forces. The military participates in the event through their “Freedom Run”, which is a special segment of the 5K For Freedom in which active duty service men and women run in formation in PT gear and call out cadence. The military units that participate in the race truly represent and embody “FREEDOM” – which exists in America because of the sacrifices of our service members, for whom we are incredibly grateful.
Whether you register as an individual or a team, the 5K For Freedom is an incredibly rewarding way to get involved with the Torrance Armed Forces Day celebration and show your support and respect for our troops.
About the Torrance Armed Forces Day Celebration:
- Torrance is one of few cities nationwide sanctioned by the Department of Defense to honor our Armed Forces through an annual Armed Forces Day Parade & Celebration, which includes the 5K For Freedom Run/Walk.
- Torrance’s Armed Forces Day Parade has the distinction of being the nation’s longest running military parade sponsored by any city.
- 2019’s celebration brought approximately 60,000 people to crowd the Parade route.
- The year 2023 marks the 61st year that the City of Torrance will host an Armed Forces Day Celebration to honor the nation’s military. Torrance’s celebration takes place the third weekend in May, and lasts from Friday through Sunday.
- The 61st Annual Armed Forces Day Parade will take place Saturday, May 20, 2023, 1:30 p.m. at Crenshaw Boulevard and travels one-mile west on Torrance Boulevard to Madrona Avenue. It ends approximately at 3:30 p.m.
- Each year, the City of Torrance identifies one branch of the military – the United States Army, Marine Corps, Navy, Air Force, or Coast Guard – as the “honored service” of the Armed Forces Day Celebration. A high-ranking member of the honored service is invited to serve as Grand Marshal.
- The 2023 celebration honors the United States Coast Guard.
- Besides the 5K and Parade highlight, the community can enjoy other festivities during the 61st Annual City of Torrance Armed Forces Day Parade & Celebration, including military exhibits and a free concert by a band from the military.
- Military exhibits on display, including aircraft, vehicles, support equipment may be viewed at the Del Amo Fashion Center parking lot just east of the Lifestyle Wing. Dates and times to be announced later.
- Two free concerts are typically held at 1:30 p.m. and 7:30 p.m. on the Friday of celebration weekend at the James Armstrong Theatre, 3330 Civic Center Drive. Information to be announced at a later date.
- The Torrance legacy of the Armed Forces Day celebration began under the leadership of Mayor Albert Isen in 1960 and has grown throughout the years to be considered a Southern California tradition. According to Mayor Isen, the parade was to “increase public respect and understanding for military service and promote civic-military relationships.”